25 January 2011

"Cabs are Hea" and other reasons why I LOVE Jersey Shore

I was talking to a couple of friends today and the conversation randomly turned to Jersey Shore. Apparently, out of all those present during this conversation, I was the only person who'd watched more than 20 minutes of Jersey Shore. And believe me, I've watched A LOT MORE than 20 minutes of this (I think) hilariously entertaining show. But when push came to shove, I really cannot explain my fascination with guidos and guidettes of the Shore.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not really a "TV person" anymore (I get in a like 5 hours a week), and I don't even really watch that "genre" (can you call it that?). As a matter of fact, there's only a small handful of shows I actually follow. Most all of those are documentary type shows (Discovery Channel, anyone?)


Yet something draws me to these over-tanned, overly-dramatic, publicity whores.
I mean I get it. I'm sure "Snooki" doesn't go home to her adoptive parents' home dressed like an overweight cougar, chugging on a bottle of Patron. Just like I'm sure (or at least, I sure hope) Mike isn't actually the douchebag he appears to be every week.

But there's something that's appealing, hey even satisfying, about watching these over-exaggerated characters on TV. They make me laugh, they're in-your-face, they drink like fish and party like, well, guidos- AND, they're harmless. They may get drunk on every episode, sing catchy cab-themed songs, fight and bang each other, but the worst crime they commit (aside from their innumerable fashion faux pas) is to churn out annoying catch-phrase after annoying catch-phrase.
Plus, that accent is just so damn catchy. It's like a never-ending "Goodfellas" (minus the incredible cinematography, classic roles, grade A acting, and well, mob-themed content). But the big hair-dos, chit-chatty gossip, Italian references, and charming Jersey-style goofing around are all there.


The Jersey Shore is the 21st century equivalent of pulp fiction. 

So maybe I don't have the best reasons, but whatever the case, you can say that Jersey Shore is a guilty pleasure of mine ! And the next time you find yourself fist-pumping in the club, I remind you that there's a little tanned, hair-gel-abusing drunk in all of us...


I leave you all with this HILARIOUS interview, done by MTV Canada's Paul the Intern and Jersey Shore castmate Ronnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pick my brain and leave some of yours!