20 June 2010

to the leading man in my life...

Dear Papa,
As I sit here smoking shisha with you in the country you taught me to take pride in and love, I can't help but think back to when I was a kid...
To the days when you used to sit me on your lap and tell me about your trips around the world, forever instilling in me the need to explore everything around me. To the days you used to swing me by my arms and tickle me till I begged you to stop, forever reminding me that youth is in the heart. To the nights when I would sit in by bed and wait for the key in the door, ensuring that you were home from a long day of work and providing me with the key values of hard work and persistence. And to all the times you would buy me a Happy Meal and wait patiently for me to eat it before going home to eat your own meal, reminding me what real dedication and selflessness is.
Papa, I've always felt blessed to have a special bond with you. Your disciplined upbringing and no-nonsense attitude would subside for your children, long enough to let us enjoy your underlying playfullness, infectious sense of humour and rare gentleness. You never once put yourself above us and you would go through any amount of bullshit to make sure your family was happy and satisfied, and for that I will forever be grateful.
In always being honest, sometimes to the point of brashness, you taught me so much about the world. You taught me to love with my actions rather than my words, never to take no for an answer, and to do anything in my power for those I love. In your silly anecdotes and countless shared memories, you made me feel just how truly important I am. Ill always remember how happy you would say you were when you learned you would be having another girl, and that no amount of boys would replace that. In doing so, you taught me to be a strong and independent women, and never to rely on a man (other than you, that is!).
You will never truly understand how much I appreciate every good deed, lesson, action and word you have given me. You will never know how much joy I felt looking down at your proud, approving face as you watched me accept awards, receive diplomas, deliver speeches and be the best person I know how to be.
I don't know how much time I have left in this world with you, and I don't know if I could ever really express how I feel about you. Although you always tried your best to keep me from thinking about how the unforgiving hands of time will logically take you away in its grip one day, possibly soon, I know that I will ALWAYS treasure all of these things I have grown to love about you, and your beautiful soul.
I pray that I can one day marry someone who is half the man you are, but I know there will only ever be one Superman in my life, and that is you...
I love you my protector, entertainer, care-giver, provider, and hero.
I love YOU papa, always and forever..

Love,
A grateful, loving daddy's girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pick my brain and leave some of yours!