16 May 2010

Exploring the Globe

All my friends would agree that I'm a big travel buff, a restless soul on an eternal search for something, somewhere. I spend countless hours fantasizing about far off, exotic places I'd like to visit, and hidden gems, tucked away and forgotten by even the most avid traveller. My parents were wonderful enough to fill my childhood/teenage years with regular trips and I'm so grateful to have had the love of travel- the wonder, curiosity, and desire to explore new places- instilled in me since yay high. Everytime I take a trip, whether its a roadtrip or a one-on-one experience with Mama Nature, I'm filled with awe and wonder all over again, and a strong urge to see what else lies beneath the immediate vision of my day-to-day life. I'll always be a big city girl, and indeed I feel a sense of peace when I'm thrust amidst the loud noise, busy nightlife, and non-stop human movements in NYC, Montreal, or Cairo. At the same time, the side of me that remains in tune with nature treasures camping in Northern Ontario, beach-hopping in Miami, and scuba diving in the Red Sea. My trips have helped create a stock pile of memories for me, like the first time I saw the pyramids of Giza- the shock, amazement and sheer admiration of civilization I immediately felt. Or the sentimentality and overall feelings of interest when I first arrived in Paris and glimpsed the "Tour d'Effiel". I cherish ATV-ing and mountain-climbing in the deserts of Sinai, and can never forget the first time I watched the sunrise from my view atop a mountain.

The experiences I've had and activities I've participated in while abroad surely compose the passion I have for travelling around. At the same time though, a huge part of this passion is brought on by my inquenchable, infinite curiosity to see the day-to-day lives of other people through their eyes. Human cultures excite my senses, and when I'm surrounded by ones that I'm not accustomed to I try to shed any feelings of disturbance, superiority, or guilt which I may knowingly/unknowingly have. Instead, I try to embrace different peoples, see what I may learn from their lives and customs. Most of all, it constantly reminds me of one inescapable fact: that no matter what part of the globe you call home, no matter how you live and who you are, deep down we share the common experience, the beautiful struggle, of being human...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pick my brain and leave some of yours!