18 November 2010

J. Cole paints pictures of hope

So, I realized I haven't really posted anything about Friday Night Lights. And as a friend of mine pointed out, that's pretty odd cause "you're like his biggest fan" (lol). Anyways, one of my favourite tracks is Before I'm Gone. I find it very moving, and very reminiscent of some of my other favourites, Song for the Ville and World is Empty, even Premeditated Murder.
One particular set of lyrics really stuck out to me, and I guess I just realized why...


"Them old niggaz sayin 'Cole the wrong one
Bringing the city shine
All he ever doin is painting pictures of crime,
Tellin stories of pain
Painting pictures of dope.'
Bitch if you listenin, I'm painting pictures of hope..."


And perhaps that is what draws me to J. Cole as an artist. That alluring factor that I look for in any book I read, album I listen to, or film that I watch. That through all that shit that flies around us, amidst all the "sham and drudgery" (Max Emeret) that this world has to offer, there is almost an essential beauty that can be found and pursued.
When J. Cole narrates tragic moments about the decaying city he grew up in, or tells a story of personal loss to gang violence, or places himself amidst these stories of crime and pain, its almost as if he's inviting the listener to open up about their own ills. And where many hiphop artists have largely left it at that, J. Cole takes it a step further by not only telling us that he got out of that situation, but also did so in pursuit of a bigger dream. I feel as though that is what propels an artist like J. Cole to make it new heights, and set such high standards in an industry that makes it so easy to get sidetracked. He admits he fucked up, clinging to the lifestyle of a villain, or at least the projected success that he visualized would come from this role. But by virtue of even realizing how terribly misleading these kinds of lifestyles are, J. Cole led himself in another direction: "You ever seen a nigga chasing dreams?... He don't pay no mind to the niggaz that's disagreein'..." (Song for the Ville)

It's easy for people who live in similar situations to judge J. Cole for portraying such a "negative" image of their hood. I mean let's face it, I get extra frustrated every time I hear an out-of-towner ask me about the gang-related "statistics" they've heard about Scarborough. And that's because I live here and I know that it's not the exaggerated ghetto that people make it out to be. But at the same time, to ignore the influence of "gang" (and I use that term liberally) culture on this city would also be inaccurate; go to any high school and you'll easily see kids who still sport bandanas out their back pockets. So when J. Cole says some shit like "reporters sympathizing like they know the pain...yeah right", he's assuming the role of accurate witness to the shit that actually does go on in his hood.
But, these same people who criticize his portrayal of their hood are either misquoting Cole's lyrics, taking them out of context, or have never heard any of his other songs. When he spits lines like "Time's getting hard..But fuck that, I'm aimin' for the stars...I wont stop. I'll try till the day I die..." (Can't Cry) off his FIRST mixtape, before Jay, before Rocnation, before any real radio play, there's something to be said. J. Cole is essentially calling on the people who live these broke, desolate, similar lives to try and make it out of them just by dreaming and trying: "Is you scared to follow dreams? I know you gotta have one. The opportunities be in your face, you gotta grab 'em.." (Song for the Ville)

With the recent success of his Friday Night Lights mixtape, current tour, joining his role model's label, and growing popularity, his message stands even stronger. I love that through it all, J. Cole has been so honest and personal and candid and specific about his hometown of Fayettville. There are song titles that refer to it, interview answers that explicitly outline his experiences there, and lyrics that paint images of the relatively unknown town. In one of my favourite tracks, Song for the Ville, there's such a deeply resonate message of hope that I would find difficult not to appreciate...

If we take hiphop as a valuable medium that even transcends art, then we necessarily must value mc's like J. Cole. He takes it back to it's truest and most original essence: a vehicle for social awareness, empowerment and subsequent improvement. Imagine a world we could live in if a bunch of 10-year-olds are told to dream, and then chase their dream with fearlessness and devotion. That it's cool to be "academically gifted" (2Face), and to make it to college (like J. Cole did successfully). That no matter how alluring the role of villain and all its possible rewards may be, long-term success and happiness will really only come through fulfilling their lifelong goals.
These messages, ladies and gents, are ones J. Cole sends, whether intentionally or not, through his art.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pick my brain and leave some of yours!