27 September 2010

Across the borders..

"You don't know where
My people comin' from,
'Cause you don't go there
We just trying to get dough here..."


Sooo, I know I'm a little late with this, but my iPod shuffled to this song this morning and I haaad to share it.

The joint is called "Don't Go There", off London hip-hop artist Giggs' album "Let 'Em 'Ave It", and it features none other than up-and-comer BoB.
Giggs is a rapper from the notoriously "ghetto" district of Peckam in South London, known for his slow rap style and street lyrics. He won the BET Award for Best UK Hip Hop Act in 2008, and has released 9 hugely successful official mixtapes. The 10th mixtape- Magical Mr. Hollowman- is due out in December of this year. Giggs' first album, "Talkin' the Hardest", which he apparently created in just under two weeks, sold out across the UK. He is widely successful in the UK- ask any Londoner to suggest some local hiphop artists and they will always name Giggs.

Let me just say, after spending some time in London this summer I have a whooole new appreciation for and curiosity in the international hiphop scene. I also noticed that this particular musical genre has an impressively large following in the UK, contrary to the images of tea-sipping, prim-and-proper, Queen-loving Brits that we often get fed out here in Canada/US.

If you haven't heard of Giggs, I suggest you broaden your horizons and check him out before dismissing him as "just some British guy"...





Also check out some of these UK artists, as suggested by a couple of London friends:
- Kano
- Klash Nic-Off
- P Money

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pick my brain and leave some of yours!